1965 Fall Issue Camp Susquehanna, New Milford, Pennsylvania 18834

A Message From the Director

Visitors to camp today, would find little to compare it with the activity and sights which are true of any camping season. The buildings are shuttered for the winter, equipment dismantled and distributed to the various storage areas, the entrance gates closed, the trees bare of leaves, snow covers the grass, and a general sense of quietude and peace prevails - which should normally be the case in a seasonal type of business, such as a boys' summer camp. This is Susquehanna today - at least in outward appearance! Even though the entrance gates are closed, the Administration Office continues to be a busy place, and is open every day, busy with plans and preparations - advertising copy, adding machine strips of figures from the bookkeeping records, and all the usual activity, necessary to produce a good vital camping experience - a Susquehanna camping experience! To our annoyance, the rumors which some individuals reported to us last summer, concerning a new disposition of the camp, continue to circulate. These rumors are completely unfounded. There are no plans extending into the future, to make any change in ownership, or in the general operation of Camp Susquehanna. We are human enough to feel some disgust at these rumors. Camp Susquehanna registers quite strongly and importantly in the lives of many people. We had thought this true for our campers, and for those devoted persons on the staff. That it is so important to others, we can well appreciate, and giving the whole picture, a second look, we can be quite grateful that Susquehanna is being talked about in such a way, and not in a way which would damage the good relations we have always maintained with area residents. We do in sincerity, ask you to overlook these rumors - in time, the undoubtedly will fade away.

The forthcoming November Announcement carries a summary of the 1965 Season, and we hope you will read this over carefully and relive in memory, the many fine experiences we all enjoyed. During the closing days, we tried to see everyone before departing, but in some instances, did miss a few of the boys and some of the staff. We are deeply grateful for the opportunity to share your summer, and want to thank you all, for your many contributions to Camp Susquehanna. 1966 promises to be even finer, and we hope you will return and turn Susquehanna back into the normal summer picture of happy shouting, bugle calling, and all the usual activity we know so well. Our best wishes, Ken and Joy Schroder

Football Team

On August 31st, in the early evening, a special chartered bus arrived at Camp Susquehanna. It unloaded some 35 young men and their luggage, and represented the nucleus of a football team. They were the members of Binghamton, New York Central High School, and by special arrangement, they were going to use the camp facilities for a football camp.

The team lived in the Senior Camp cabins, supervised by the head coach, Dick Lalla (a former Colgate University star) and his assistant coaches. They carried a very heavy schedule using the Baseball Diamond for tackle practice, scrimmage and calisthenics. The workshop area of the "A" building basement was cleared and set up for a dressing room. Meals were served in the Dining Hall, and it did not take them long to appreciate the fine cooking of Mrs. Lois Schroder and her staff. The Dining Hall was also used for "Skull sessions" and the showing of football movies. It served as an excellent means of further utilization of camp property, with no detractions from the regular season. A few staff members from the summer stayed on to assist in handling the group - it was almost a full time job doing laundry which became essential, because of some muddy playing areas. We all, more or less, suffered exhaustion just watching the ream go through their calisthenics routine, and from this alone we could easily and readily dispute any statement that American youth is in poor physical condition. We know of only one incident when damage was inflicted, and this took place during some punting practice in the Senior Clearing. One of the overhead floodlights was broken. Characteristically, Mr. Schroder asked if it was a good kick, and the reply from Coach Lalla was that is was beautiful - which made it all right. The team returned to Binghamton again by chartered bus on Monday evening, September 6th - hopefully well-conditioned and prepared for an active schedule. The coaches and supervisors felt the camp was most beneficial, providing closer contact and a completely supervised schedule, free from all outside interference. They are looking forward to returning to Susquehanna next year, and in the meantime we wish them all good luck.

Camp Banquet

The customary signal of the approaching end of the 1965 camping season was marked by the Annual Camp Banquet, Thursday, August 19th.

Mr. Craig Holden sang the "Lord's Prayer" and Mrs. Lois Schroder and her kitchen staff quickly served a very fine banquet meal comprising tomato juice, pickles and olives, French fries, broiled steak, buttered corn, and whopping portions of apple pie and vanilla ice cream for dessert. Because of program scheduling, the banquet was held at 1pm and during the time lapse between courses, Mr. Holden was prevailed upon to lead in singing some of the camp songs.

Following the fine meal, Mr. Schroder made a few remarks, keeping them brief, and then introduced Mark Bergman - recipient of the Outstanding Intermediate Camper, and Chris McMurray, Outstanding Senior Camper.

When the applause had died down, Mr. Schroder congratulated these boys and then went on to introduce Bob Waters, the head counselor of the Junior Camp, who in turn introduced his staff. These specialty leaders announced the winners of the Oscar awards.
Air Riflery Oscar - David Decker
Archery Oscar - Richard Pease
Athletics Oscar - Richard Pease
And winner of the Warbasse Trophy, a perpetual award going to the boy making the greatest improvement - Jimmy Igner.

Mr. Edward Hull was then introduced and he in turn called upon his specialty counselors and the winners of the Intermediate Division.
Archery Oscar - Gary Nacht
Athletics Oscar - John Todhunter
Dramatics Oscar - Judd Burstein
Riflery Oscar - Doug Cooper
Tennis Oscar - Jules Feuer

Mr. Bill Deakin was then called upon to present his specialty counselors and the winners of the Senior Division.
Archery Oscar - Jules Feuer
Athletics Oscar - Gary Dibble & Chris McMurray
Dramatics Oscar - Tom Martin
Riflery Oscar - Chris McMurray
Tennis Oscar - Steve McBroom

As the Head Riding Instructor, Mr. Jules Quattrocchi was then introduced and called upon to present the Riding Department and Horsemanship awards.
Riding Oscars:
Junior Camp - Michael Wallach
Intermediate Camp - Gary Rappaport
Senior Camp - Ryk McCarty
Horsemen - Robert Filskov
The John Larisch Trophy for interest and care of horses was awarded to Bruce Tucker.
The S.G. Parkinson Trophy for excellence in Horsemanship was awarded to Ned Halle.
Winner of the S.P.C.A. trophy, the Henry Bergh Trophy, as determined at the 1965 PWE Horseshow, and re-introduced - Ned Halle.

Next to be called upon was Mr. George Murphy, Head Waterfront Director, who at once began to announce the winners of the swimming department awards.
Swimming Oscars:
Junior Camp - David Decker
Intermediate Camp - Doug Cooper
Senior Camp - Diego Baptista
The special Deakin Swimming Trophy was awarded to Mark Bergman.

The next trophy, the Coppola Bros. Athletic Award, a perpetual award, was made to Billy Kahn.

The remaining trophy, instituted in 1963 and known as the Fritz Finkler Memorial Award, and awarded annually to the outstanding Counselor-in-Training, was announced as going to John Edwards.

Following these announcements and the actual presentation of the awards, the group Head Counselors distributed Award Receipt Cards to all campers of their respective divisions.

Mr. Schroder then rapped for attention and said that the time had come for some important words. The group quieted right down and listened carefully while he gave a brief history of Camp Susquehanna, starting with the year 1928. He mentioned some of the long search he had made for a suitable camp. He brought his remarks to a close by saying that in the Fall of 1963, he and his wife Joy, made an arrangement with Mr. Smith to take over Camp Susquehanna. As part of this arrangement, they felt it only fitting that an appropriate award be made to Mr. Smith, and a beautiful silver tray was obtained marking Mr. Smith's complete retirement from Camp Susquehanna.

This presentation was greeted by a tremendous round of applause for former director, growing quickly into a standing ovation. It was some minute before Mr. Smith could quiet the group enough to express his thanks to the Schroder, the boys, and to the staff for the fine 1965 camping season, and for the fine memories ha had of Camp Susquehanna.

With the singing of the Camp song, the banquet concluded.

Lost and found

Amongst the items which were found at the end of the past camping season, and which we could not identify as belonging to anyone, was a silver baby spoon. We will be glad to mail this on to anyone who will identify and claim it. It undoubtedly has some value and for this reason we would like to find the proper owner.


In mid-September, announcement was made of the Camp's sponsorship of the National Horseshow held at Madison Square Garden New York City, with the special matinee performance on Saturday, October 30th.

Arrangements were made to secure a block of tickets to accommodate those who wished to attend this event and enjoy the opportunity to see the nation's top riders and their fine horse, in the company of camp friends.

Time was an important factor in making arrangements, partly due to an earlier show date than in 1964, and a brief delay in actual receipt of definite show schedules. Nevertheless, a good representation of Susquehanna staff, campers, and parents were in attendance, joining Mr. & Mrs. Schroder and Mr. Smith, as well as some former campers, and seeing a fast moving show, which was of excellent caliber in riding and horsemanship. We felt it far better than the show of 1964 and look forward to attending that of 1966.

Amongst those in attendance were Judd Burstein, Mark Rea, Chris McMurray, John Levy, John Edwards, David Jones, Mark and Peter Judge, Billy Kahn, Barry Weissglass, John Eisenberg, Joe Fili, and Bob Miller.

Amongst the staff who attended were: Jack O'Connell, Jules Quattrocchi, Larry Mond, Craig Holden, Don Alsted and Bob Pease. There were a number of others in attendance, - former and present campers and staff including: Jerry Fusco, Frank Visceglia, Jeff Altshuler, Steve Palmer and Dr. Bob Rice and Scott Miller.

It was particularly interesting to note, and see, the former campers who took active part in the show and rode, such as John Cali, Matt Collins, Greg Webster and others.

Post Season

On August 21st, the informal camping period known as Post Season began. Taking part in this program were 20 boys and 10 staff members as well as Mr. Schroder and Mr. Smith. The boys enjoyed a number of extended riding periods, and the 10 day period was vividly highlighted by the six day 150 mile horseback trip.

In preparation for the 6 day trip, members of the riding staff placed bales of hay at the various camp sites. In the process the truck became quite disabled and had to be forgotten as far as using it on the trip. As last year, food was prepared at camp and transported to the various sites where it was served, piping hot, by the trip's chef, John Wintersteen. Breakfast was prepared at the camp sites. Bob Pease's "Bluebird" was used by John as the kitchen on wheels and to carry the various items of equipment, replacing the camp truck.

At 8AM on Tuesday, August 24th, boys, horses, and staff members left the home camp site, on the start of what proved to be the most unusual and adventuresome trip in many years. Weather was comfortable and nice - just right for riding.

Mr. Smith, riding his horse "Dusty" for the twentieth consecutive year, led the first group. The first campsite was located on a farm near Melrose, just south of Steven's Point. It was a particularly beautiful campsite, over a creek and in a fine meadow. The creek proved hard for motor vehicles to negotiate and each, in turn, needed assistance to make the crossing. The second night was at Blueberry Lake, near Deposit, New York. And... it was a truly magnificent campsite. The third night, which was to prove the real Waterloo point of the whole trip, was at a small privately owned lake known as Beaver Pond, near the village of Shehawkin. After supper that night, with the camp set up on the east bank of the pond, and the picket line in the midst, on a little use dirt track or road, it began to rain, and before it stopped 6 hours later, over 3 inches of rain had fallen. The force of the storm was so severe, only a few pup tents stayed watertight. As soon as everyone got the least wet, they were quickly moved to a nearby farmer's barn where they remainder of the night was passed sleeping in a hay mow in relative comfort. Ironically, the horses ate more hay that night than on any other night.

The next morning, departure was delayed for a brief time while equipment was dried out. Donning swimming trunks, the boys spent the waiting interval of time damming and otherwise sliding and playing in a flooded creek that cut right through the campsite. Blankets and dry clothing where needed were sent out from camp. At last, the group moved on by an alternate route to the next campsite at Echo Lark Camp on Independence Lake in Wayne County.

It was at Beaver Pond, while trying to pull the GMC out of an axle-deep mud hole that Mike Knapp's Jeep was disabled and transportation became that much more acute.

At Independence Lake, it became necessary to bring out the camp horse trailer and move a couple of the horse to Stearns Lake, which was the fifth campsite. The horses has lost some shoes in the state game lands, part of the route, and could no longer be used without the attention of a blacksmith. He was able to meet the group at Stearns Lake and fix them up so they could be used for the ride back to camp the next day.

The group returned to camp, tired and happy, and strenuously vowing that it was the best Post Season trip ever!


The last issue, dated August 15, of the Susquehanna Lookout carried an article on the Olympic events. These Olympics, a feature of the second half of the season, were still going on at press time, and for this reason we were unable to report on new record holders or the outcome of the program. In this second year of the camp Olympics, interest remained keen and sportsmanship was most commendable. As last year, the entire camp was assigned to a specific team - a country represented by attendance at camp during the summer, and further limited to those countries who would loan one of their nation's flags. Counselors-in-Training served as team captains and were eligible to participate in their age group.
Austria - Gary Dibble, Captain
Canada - Ricky Bell, Captain
Great Britain - David Kille, Captain Trinidad - Barry Schallek, Captain United States - John Edwards, Captain

The "Lookout" apologizes for being unable to list eh winners of the 59 different events, featuring track and field, Archery, Riflery (including air riflery), Riding, and swimming. Space just will not permit this. Instead, we would like to list the team winners and extend our hearty congratulations.
First Place - Trinidad - 154 pts.
Second Place - Canada - 152 pts.
Third Place - United States - 114 pts. Fourth Place - Great Britain - 87 pts. Fifth Place - Austria - 45 pts.

Team totals were achieved by an over total of events and resulting placement of participants.

Naturally in a program of such nature, some individuals are going to score more than others. Highest scoring individuals in the 1965 Olympics were:
Chris McMurray (Trinidad) with 54 points. NOTE: Chris moves ahead with his record number of points, since the previous Olympic record for an individual was 41 points - Mike Bershad in 1964. Like Mike, Chris is a member of the Senior Camp.
Second place went to Ricky Bell, the captain of the Canadian team with a total of 44 points.
Third place - Peter Judge with a total of 37 points (Great Britain) and a new record in the 6 to 9 age group.
Fourth place - David Decker (United States) with 30 points. Dave is a member of the Junior Camp.

The winners of the events will receive an Olympic patch - the five intertwined circles familiar as the regular Olympic insignia. Record winners and their records will remain posted in the record book until new records are made.

Again our congratulations to all who were successful and a special congratulations to all who participated.

The New Flagpole

The camp flagpole, although still standing in the Intermediate Clearing, is due to be replaced. Plans were made this past summer during late Post Season. A tree was finally selected from amongst those on the camp property. In itself the search took a long time during the summer. It had to be of proper diameter and length, nicely shaped and easily accessible. The new flagpole is now drying and aging, peeled and blocked up along the Junior Camp road. John Wintersteen, Larry Mond, and Mike Knapp felled the tree and peeled it so it would age correctly.

The original flagpole was installed more than twenty years ago. It has been taken down and repainted a number of times but is beginning to show signs of strain and decay. An estimated 10 feet would have to be cut from it when it is next repainted - it would need repainting in the Spring of 1966 and this would leave it too short.